One of Boris Johnson’s early achievements was to appoint a Cabinet featuring more Members from Britain’s diverse communities than ever before. This is great news for young black people who seeing these role models will know that they can make it to the very top.
This should in turn herald a change to the wider Public Appointments environment, where too often the same old faces from the Blair days are recycled into new roles. It’s time for greater diversity – of opinions as well as backgrounds.
Many people would benefit from a Public Appointment and they would be able to make a great contribution, but unfortunately the process is shrouded in mist for the average applicant. It’s difficult to know where to start or what the recruiters are looking for. That’s where I can help.
A good place to begin is the Cabinet Office website, which publishes regular updates to the jobs available. You can also sign up for a Newsletter ensuring the opportunities drop into your in box as they become available.
Applications are initially by CV with a covering letter which requires candidates to set out how they meet the job and person specifications.
Shortlisted applicants will be called to interview where they will face a barrage of questions and usually a short presentation task to test their communication skills.
You will need to be able to demonstrate strong Communication skills, an ability to Understand other viewpoints, evidence of Teamwork that is needed if you are going to be part of a senior non executive board, and an awareness of good Ethics and integrity.
If this is you – I can help by offering:
- Advice on your own personal strategy, setting goals and working towards securing your first appointment – and those that will follow.
- Application Letter and CV support, presenting you at your best on paper.
- Interview Planning, to prepare you for the crucial 30 minute assessment.
- Presentation Skills Training and Speech Writing, to make your initial presentation really shine.
- Mock Interview, covering the usual questions that always crop up and the tricky questions that can trip up the best candidates.
If you have already built a successful career then you probably have the skills and experience they are looking for.
An initial consultation is free so contact me today.